Search Posts
Search For Jobs

The SnaP: Coaching Responsibly With CEO Of Coaching Association Of CanadA

COACHING RESPONSIBLY

Episode 2

1 on 1 with Lorraine Lafreniere

CEO of the Coaching Association of Canada

Welcome to the second episode of The SnaP, a SPort MAnagement (SPMA) Hub digital show, featuring voices from the sport industry, hosted by Anastasiya Romanska. The show probes a snapshot into their lives by providing a visual with auditory experience.

On this week’s show, we talk with the CEO of the Coaching Association of Canada, Lorraine Lafreniere.

Lorraine is a leader in the sport industry and an inspiration for women across Canada. She talks to us about overcoming her personal battles, receiving prestigious awards and running a non-profit organization. She tells us about her experience as a woman in the sports and business industry and shares some of her favourite parts of it.

Lorraine goes one step further, I think I would encourage your male listeners to read up and learn how to be stronger allies. And I would encourage your female listens to lean in, understand the research and what drives male and female behaviour whether it comes to applying for jobs, accessing opportunities or be seen as a leader.”

Lorraine notes that research on gender behaviour in the job search process is “very clear.”

About midway through the interview, Lorraine says, “Men will look at a job description and say I’ve got 70% of the requirements, I’ll learn the other 30% on the job.”

On the other hand, Lorraine notes, women tend to deselect. She says, “They go, oh, I have 80% of this and I don’t have that 20%, so I’m not ready yet.”

We definitely need people of all genders working in sport, because a diverse workplace is a successful one!

“The notion of removing “not ready yet” from a woman’s vocabulary is really critical. I also want to also be respectful too, with LGBTQIS+ to this discussion. There’s an intersection here that’s really important.”

Pretty early on in the interview, you can understand exactly why we had Lorraine Lafreniere on the show. As the CEO of the Coaching Association of Canada, Lorraine leads the national coaching certification program, overseeing responsible, inclusive and quality coaching through the lens of 66 sports. That’s a huge portfolio with a big influence on the sport landscape, particularly around the high quality and responsible coaching of Canadian athletes.

In case you read this first, click here to scroll back up to see this episode of The SnaP.

Also, be sure to tune in next week for another exciting episode! Hint: Triple double!